Soria will host the Castile and Leon's First Bioeconomy Forum on 27 and 28 October 2021. The main objective of this Forum is to organize a regional meeting with a national and international focus, in order to make visible the potential of the bioeconomy in the region, highlighting innovation projects, good practices and policies developed within this framework. The Forum is an initiative funded by The Institute for Business Competitiveness of the Regional Government of Castile and León.
It is coordinated by the Cesefor Foundation with the collaboration of the Natural Heritage Foundation, the Regional Energy Agency (EREN) and the Agricultural Technology Institute of Castile an León (ITACyL).
WHY A BIOECONOMY FORUM IN CASTILE AND LEÓN?
The bioeconomy implies an economic model based on the use and transformation of renewable natural resources to produce food, energy, products and services. The bioeconomy thus makes it possible to reduce our dependence on fossil resources, avoid biodiversity loss, increase value added at source, strengthen industrial capacities and develop a new model of resilient economic growth.
Castile and León has a wealth of renewable natural resources, a consolidated industry and first-class university and technology centres. Therefore, the region has a unique potential to become a leader in the bioeconomy at the national and European level.
The development of the bioeconomy in the region will make it possible to empower rural areas through the efficient use of endogenous renewable resources, promote new business models that will improve the competitiveness of our business fabric, generate jobs and set population especially in the areas most affected by the scourge of the of "España Vaciada".
According to the European Green Deal - the EU´s growth strategy- we must promote an economy at the service of the people "that restores more to nature than it takes away".
The Forum brings together government, universities, companies, investment funds, technology centres and the community in general to create synergies and promote this transformation.
The development of the bioeconomy is a great opportunity for Spain and its people to face the demographic challenge, to encourage the sustainable use of their resources, the value added at source and to promote R&D&I.
It's specific objectives are::
- Generate an open space for knowledge creation and debate to make visible the opportunity represented by the bioeconomy in the region.
- Bring together regional, national and international leaders in the field of the bioeconomy, promoting the exchange of experiences and the formation of strategic alliances.
- Involve the Soria community in the forum through awareness-raising and dissemination of the bioeconomy.
- To disseminate good practices and inspiring business models on an international scale in Castile and León.
- Position Soria as a pioneering territory and a national benchmark in the development of the circular bioeconomy.
- Demonstrate the great potential for the development of bioeconomy-based business models.
- Design a participatory and innovative forum format that could be replicated in other cities in the Autonomous Community in the coming years.